Monday, October 11, 2010

Wake and Bake


I woke up this morning feeling totally rested and refreshed (thanks for the extra sleep-in time, Leon.) The sun was shining, the kids were already dressed and playing nicely together - I knew it was going to be a great day! When I went to pour my coffee and saw the last 10 apples from our apple picking excursion sitting on the counter, I could tell they only had a couple of days left in them, so I put the kids on peeling duty (they only made it through two or three of them before they got tired) and I pulled out my Nigella cookbook to find the richest, flakiest pie recipe imaginable. As usual, she didn't disappoint. I'm pretty sure it was frying the apples in butter that made the pie so delicious, but whatever it was, it filled the house with an amazing aroma and fully satisfied my autumnal apple pie cravings.







The kids also made these cute little leaf shapes out of the extra dough, which I added on top for decoration, but despite my best efforts they wouldn't even take a bite. What kind of children don't like apple pie?!

1 comment:

Annamarina said...

The pie looks delicious! I can't believe the girls didn't want to try it!