Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My Festival of Lights

We’re not an especially religious family, but we love to celebrate holidays, and because my father was Jewish I think that entitles me to both Christmas and Hanukkah. Since I’ve always had trouble finding menorahs that are aesthetically pleasing to me and also within my budget, I decided to make my own this year.

Instead of opting for one candelabra or vessel to hold the traditionally tall & skinny Hanukkah candles, I opted for nine separate mercury glass votive holders lined up in a row, one of which is just slightly larger than the others to signify its identity as the “shamash” candle (the one used to light the others.)




At $.99 each for the eight small ones, $3 for the one larger one and $6.99 for a package of XX candles (all from Target) this is a cheap and chic option, if I do say so myself.





The other benefit is that after we’re done celebrating the Festival of Lights, these pretty candle holders can grace my dining table, mantle or bathroom any day of the year and fit right in. 

Oh, and here are a couple more “modern” menorahs that I think are a stylish and irreverent way to celebrate, should you be so inclined:

Manzanita Candlabra from West Elm - this one isn't technically a menorah,
but it holds nine candles and looks awfully pretty in the process

Last Match by Kathleen Walsh


Happy Hanukkah, everyone!

No comments: