- Make a sheet cake from a box
- Crumble it into a bowl
- Mix it with 1/2 to 3/4 of a tub of icing
- Form into golf size balls
- Chill in the fridge for one hour or overnight
- Insert lollipop stick
- Dip in melted chocolate
- Sprinkle with decoration
So off I went!
Overall it was a pretty easy process, and they were super yummy (the kids even asked me to make them for their birthdays), so I'm definitely moving forward with my plans to make them for the shower, but I did learn a few lessons from this batch:
1) The cake balls shouldn't be bigger than a bite or they'll be too heavy for the stick.
2) I should have a foam block ready ahead of time (preferably more attractive than the piece of styrofoam I pulled out of the garage at the last minute) to put the sticks in while the chocolate hardens.
3) The cake crust (bottom and sides of the baking dish) need to be broken up thoroughly so the cake pops have a smooth consistency. I'll probably use my food processor next time.
Oh, and the most important lesson I learned - after eating three today and two last night - is that I cannot have these in the house!