Friday, January 21, 2011

Hanging Around

Remember last month when I talked about these great neighborhood posters from Ork? Well I decided to go ahead and buy one, and was initially planning to hide it away until Valentine’s Day as a little gift for my hubby, but since he was home when the package arrived and I was not, that surprise went out the window. Guess I’ll have to think of something else for February 14th, but for now I’m focused on framing this puppy and putting it up to admire.



While browsing their site I noticed that Ork has a great section with tips and ideas for displaying their posters, like:

  • Ork's personal favorite: hang with binder clips and pushpins or small nails...put 2 clips on top and 2 clips on the bottom, near the corners, use nails or pushpins through the arms of the clips to hang. Target has some slick, small silver binder clips that work well (in the office supply section).
  • Mount the poster on matte board or foamcore and set it on an art shelf or small nails. This method is also handy if you like to cycle the art that you have on display.
  • Poster 'rails': These are aluminum bars that snap on to the top and bottom of the poster and hang with 2 nails or hooks. They are often used for displays, but create a unique look in the home.

I do like these ideas and am inclined to try them out at some point, but my goal was to hang this in our “formal” living room so I think a traditional frame and mat would be more appropriate this time around, especially since the poster itself leans towards the fun side. I don’t want to spend a fortune on custom framing though, so I’ve been looking at some inexpensive, but still attractive options. 

The poster we got measures 20’ X 30’ and is black with gold metallic ink. The Ikea Ribba frame (my go-to frame of choice) comes in a 28 ¼ by 40 ¼ size that fits a 19 ¼ by 27 ¼ picture within the borders of its mat, and since it appears that there is at least an inch and a quarter above and below the printing on the poster, that could work. If I can put my impatience aside though, it would also be cool to get a vintage, ornate frame from a flea market or thrift store and spray paint it in a black lacquer...guess I have to think on this for a minute. Oooh, I love a good cliffhanger! I’ll report back in with what we decided to do, since I know you're all dying with anticipation.

No comments: