Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cleansing our Palates


After all the gluttony of the holidays – and I made the holidays last from Halloween all the way to last week’s Disneyland trip – I need to refresh. It started with a full emptying, cleaning and restocking of my closet (two bags to Goodwill – hooray!) followed by the joyous welcoming of our new housekeeper who erased all evidence of the cobwebs of 2010. Now the refresh has made its way to me.

On Monday the hubby and I started a 21-day elimination diet that I read about on Goop. Yes, I’m a fan. This cleanse calls for cutting out all caffeine, alcohol, dairy, soy, wheat and sugar, along with some other specific items like ketchup, bananas, peanuts, and a number of other things.

My goal with this cleanse is really to jump start healthy habits for me and the family. In general we eat pretty well, but I want to do better than pretty well. I also wouldn’t mind losing the five pounds I gained since moving in to the house (I blame it on too much “new house” celebrating with friends and family) which I discovered when I went to the doctor for bronchitis last month and had to step on the scale.

So last week I picked up a bag of decaf coffee and started adding it to our regular daily brew to try to wean us down. I stocked up on lots of brown rice, free range organic chicken, rice milk, almond milk, walnuts, apples and more. 48 hours in I’m feeling fine (aside from a little caffeine withdrawal headache on Monday afternoon) and looking forward to challenging myself to make it through the next 2.5 weeks. We’ve discussed continuing to keep out wheat, sugar and dairy after that, but I guess we’ll see what the next 18 days bring before making that decision. After all, March begins the big birthday bonanza (first the Mr., then me, then my little one, then the big kid) that lasts right through mid-April, and I don’t know of a sugar-free, wheat-free, dairy-free cake that I’d like to eat, do you?! 

No comments: