Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Cane You Believe It?

I've been inspired (mostly by my budget to be honest) to take on more DIY home projects, but since I'm just starting out, I wanted to test the waters with a couple of risk-free, mostly cosmetic ventures. On a thrift store outing during my lunch break last month I spotted two of these dusty, but lovely chairs for quite a bargain at $40 a piece:


I loved the cane sides and the way the fabric went up the back of the chair, as well as the beautifully intricate legs (I guess I'm a leg woman, who knew?!) They seemed just right for a fun and fairly simple paint and upholstery rehab, so I snatched them up and started daydreaming about how to refresh them with just the right paint and fabric. Three paint fan decks and two fabric stores later I selected glossy cream colored spray paint from Valspar and a buttery, warm tan velvet from my favorite LA fabric store, F&S.

After further investigation of the bottom and back seat cushion, I decided that this upholstery job would have to be outsourced. Although I had intended to keep this a true DIY, I wanted these chairs to look professionally done and last a long time, and the intricate stapling on both had me completely intimidated, so I hauled them over to my local upholstery shop to remove the existing fabric, fix a crack in the back and return to me for painting. I set up a mini spray booth in our garage and after cleaning them, lightly sanding them with 220 grit paper and spray priming them I was ready to paint:



I ran into a few snags at this point. 1) the primer had dried pretty bumpy, so I had to sand again before painting. I tried to diagnose the problem, and it appears that since it was a hot day and I was afraid to spray too close, the primer was drying before it hit the chair. I made a note to myself to spray the paint closer to the chair than the primer, but then when I got to that step, I  2) overcompensated and sprayed too close. The paint got gloopy and even started to drip in some spots. I wiped those areas with a rag and made sure to sand any drip marks before I did my next coat. I ended up doing three full coats of spray paint, and overall am happy with the outcome. I'm sure a professional could do better, but hey, this was my first attempt at working with spray paints.

Once the chair fully dried for a couple of days (yes, I only did one chair so far as I wanted to make sure I liked the paint, fabric and upholsterers work before I invested the time and money into both) I dropped it back off with my velvet to be upholstered. Then I waited...and waited...and waited. Finally, after almost two weeks it was finished! And despite the hours of work and long wait in the end (the upholstery shop got hit with a huge project that took priority over my little chair) I am overjoyed with how it turned out and think it's the perfect addition to almost any room in our house. Can you believe this was the same dingy old chair?

No comments: